Snow Doat Balls
The name derives from their 2 main ingredients. Simply dates and oats, hence creating what I like to call 'doat balls'! It's an ingenious combination, with immense versatility, but these energy balls present its simplest form. The coconut coating completes their snowball aesthetic, and adds a deliciously refreshing twist to the doat ball dough. These packets of energy are perfect as a pick-me-up snack or pre-workout power boost. Your food processor may hate you by the end, but your body will love you!
Makes roughly 15 energy balls
1. Blend the dates in a food processor with a splash of warm water until a ‘jammy’ texture is achieved.
2. Add the oats and blend until a ‘cookie dough’ like texture is reached. This may require you to add more warm water to the mixture to assist with the blending process, but be careful not to add too much, as then the mixture may become too wet and sticky.
3. Partition the mixture evenly and leave to stand for 5-10 minutes. This step may sound unnecessary, but trust me, it makes rolling them in your palms a lot easier and less messy!
4. Roll the mixture to form balls shapes in your hands.
5. Roll in shredded coconut to evenly coat their outsides, hence creating the ‘snowball’ effect.
400g fresh or dried pitted dates
½ cup shredded coconut or as required